Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Caution: Strange Project Approaching

At first glance, this may seem like a strange project, but in fact, it's the project of uber-talented artist Dan Ibarra of Aesthetic Apparatus. Ibarra has been documenting the "Caution, car approaching" recordings that blare from downtown parking ramps when, well, a car approaches. Ibarra doesn't say what he plans to do with said recordings, aside from documenting them, but we think it would make a sweet remix a la "I've fallen and I can't get up." We also think such recordings would sound a lot cooler in a British accent.

Ibarra says of his interesting new project, "Since wildlife is mostly absent in downtown these warning announcements have become the chirping birds of Minneapolis. Each has it’s own characteristic tone and invocation but they are ubiquitous, heard on every street, and easily taken for granted. In an attempt to fully comprehend our aural surroundings I plan on documenting and cataloging all parking ramp warnings I can."

Know of a ramp with a recording or warning sound that Ibarra hasn't captured? Shoot him a message.

Submitted by @letoilemagazine

2 comments:

  1. Drat, beat me to it. ;-)
    Will be on MNSpeak tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha sorry, I posted it before I forwarded you the e-mail. I'm sneaky like that! It's doubtful the MNSpeak smart alecs will read something as vapid as LOL/OMG, so I think you're safe. lol.

    ReplyDelete